much of the elegance and splendour of the 19th century.
There are many beautifully restored, handsome 19th century buildings - Victorian Gothic, neo classical, stuccoed Italianate. Buildings with stained glass windows and pressed metal ceilings.
You can follow the 'Heritage Trail' to tour the 19th Century Orange.
The Heritage Trail includes in part -
Holy Trinity Church of Orange - designed by Thomas Rowe, opened 1879 - this beautiful Anglican church, on the Cnr. Anson & Byng Streets is a great example of high Victorian Gothic Revival, its tall steeple dominating much of the city.
The grand Duntryleague (1876) - now a Guest House and Golf Club. (Molong Road).
Orange Court House a neo-classical building designed by James Barnet in 1883 from locally quarried sandstone. In a previous 1860s Court House that stood on the same spot, bushranger Ben Hall was charged with 'Robbery Under Arms' in 1862. (Lords Place & Byng St)
Orange Town Hall - stuccoed Italianate, designed by Sydney architect JJ Clarke. Foundation stone laid in 1887, completed in 1888. (Anson Street)
Beside the Town Hall, The Soldier's Memorial Hall opened in 1922.(Anson Street)
The row of 12 ironwork-decorated Victorian era two storey terrace houses built in 1876, known as Bowen Terrace are a perfect and rare example of their period. (Bathurst Road)
Orange NSW one of eighteen regions in theHighway West family of NSW Town websites.
Orange Town and Around Website
Our Thanks....... please mention the Orange-nsw website when you contact the businesses/organisations.
The Orange Public School - designed by G.A. Mansfield in a Victorian Gothic style, opened in 1880, with Sir Henry Parkes, the NSW Premier and Founder of Australian Federation laying the foundation stone. It has a unique appearance and looks more like a church than a school with its high pointed large-paned sash windows, steeply pitched roof and spire. (Cnr Kite & Sale Streets)
The Lands Office (1909), designed by WL Vernon in the Edwardian Style. (Kite Street)
Next to the Lands Office is the Scouts Hall built in 1934.
St Joseph's Catholic Church - original portion in the High Victorian style - designed by Bathurst architect Edward Gell in 1869-70.(Cnr Byng & Hill Streets)
The Band Hall on William Street, was built in 1888 by W.S. Stabback.
The Union Bank Building, Cnr.Byng & Sale Streets, was Orange's first bank, opening in 1858.
The Metropolitan Hotel - 1864. Originally a store, it has been a hotel since 1886. (Byng & Anson Sts)
In the main shopping centre along Summer Street their are some beautiful old buildings from the 1800s - The Myer building - originally Dalton Bros Store 1865. The Centrepoint building opened in 1876, designed by John Hale. The Orange Post Office building is a Victorian Italianate building designed by James Barnet opening in 1880.
Orange Railway Station opened in 1877. Dame Nellie Melba was welcomed here in 1907 and the Prince of Wales (to be King Edward VIII) in 1920.
Brochures are available from the local Historical Society and Visitor Information Centre which lists approximately 60 places of interest.
Historical Society - 148 March Street, Orange NSW 2800
PO Box 1626, Orange NSW 2800
PHOTO GALLERY: Click any image to view the larger image Gallery Slide Show.