Byng, an area of scattered houses in green valleys (when there is no drought) dates from before 1856.
It was originally named 'Cornish Village' after the original Cornish settlers who brought the first fruit trees from Cornwall and gave birth to the Orange district's fruit industry on the 'Pendarvis' property. Apples were produced in Byng for over 100 years but now there are mainly cattle, sheep and a little cropping.
'Bookannon' possibly the oldest house in the area dates back to 1840 and has been in the Hawke family since 1872.
The Methodist Church goes back to 1873 and along with the cemetery it is all that remains of the village.