Another monument in honour of Banjo Paterson is located in the heart of Orange, in the Civic Gardens, adjacent to the Orange Visitor Information Centre. The monument designed by Ruben Buesnel was officially unveiled on 17 February 2002.
Obelisk Monument Words
Orange NSW one of eighteen regions in theHighway West family of NSW Town websites.
Orange Town and Around Website
Banjo Paterson Park -
Banjo Paterson birthplace Memorial
Orange, Central West NSW Australia
Our Thanks....... please mention the Orange-nsw website when you contact the businesses/organisations.
A.B. 'Banjo' Paterson - an Australian Icon, best known as a Poet, Writer and Journalist, he was also a lawyer, a War Correspondent and farmer, who fought in the First World War.
Recognised as one of Australia's most famous and most admired bush poets he wrote many ballads and poems about Australian life, focusing particularly on the rural and outback areas, including districts in New South Wales where he spent much of his childhood.
Some of 'Banjo's' more notable poems include "Waltzing Matilda", "The Man from Snowy River" and "Clancy of the Overflow". He also wrote another now famous poem called 'The Man from Ironbark'. The Ironbark he referred to was Stuart Town in Central West NSW, which prior to 1889 was called 'Ironbarks'
The Man From Ironbark
by A.B. "banjo" Paterson
It was the man from Ironbark who struck the Sydney town,
He wandered over street and park, he wandered up and down.
He loitered here, he loitered there, till he was like to drop,
Until at last in sheer despair he sought a barber's shop.
"Ere! shave my beard and whiskers off, I'll be a man of mark,
I'll go and do the Sydney toff up home in Ironbark."..............
A. B. "Banjo" Paterson was born 17th February 1864 at Narrambla near Orange - John Templer's homestead and the home of Mrs Rose Templer, his mother’s aunt.
The Banjo Paterson memorial park has been established along the Ophir Road, Orange at the site of his birthplace.
The old Narrambla homestead stood approx. one sixth of a kilometre (8 chains) north east of the original obelisk memorial that was unveiled in the presence of his widow in 1947.
In recent years a bust of Banjo Paterson designed by Anthony Chandler has also been erected in the Park.
Banjo spent his early childhood - 1864 - 1870/71 - on a local Yeoval property - 'Buckinbah Station' and Banjo's life is reflected and celebrated throughout Yeoval. There is the Banjo Paterson Bush Park - take the Poet's Walk and don't miss the an eye-catching centrepiece of an enormous abstract sculpture of a detached head of the English sculptor Henry Moore.
A Rock Cairn, constructed by the school children remembers the past resident of Yeoval - Yeoval Central School, Obley Road, Yeoval.
From Yeoval the family moved to Illalong in the Yass district and Banjo attended the Binalong bush school until 1874 when he went to Sydney Grammar School
Templer's Mill which retained the Aboriginal name - Narrambla.
In 1828, the land between Orange and Suma Park was granted to emancipist Simeon Lord as part compensation for land he had surrendered to Governor Macquarie in 1811 in Sydney. It was probably Lord's son, Thomas, who built and supervised the district's first flour mill on the property, which retained the Aboriginal name - Narrambla.
It is possible that the grinding stone was first operated by convicts but, in 1840, when the mill was acquired by John Arthur Templer, these were replaced by horseworks. In 1848, Templer installed a 12 horsepower steam engine and boiler, and the mill's chimney probably dated from this time.
Farmers brought grain for grinding at one shilling a bushel.
It was in Templer's homestead among the trees by the creek that his great nephew, Andrew Barton Paterson, was born on 17 February 1864. Banjo Paterson as he became known, is one of Australia's best known and most popular poets.
Templer's Mill operated until about 1870. The boiler was later used for many years at Heap's Brewery in Moulder Street, Orange.
The remains of the mill, considered dangerous and beyond repair, were demolished in 1971.
Poem on Monument
"And he sees the vision splendid
of the sunlit plains extended,
and at night the wondrous glory
of the everlasting stars"
- Clancy of the Overflow.
by Andrew Barton "banjo" Paterson
Commemoration to poet Banjo Paterson.
Byng Street, Civic Gardens, Orange
After matriculating at age 16, A.B. Paterson served the customary articles of clerkship with Herbert Salwey and was admitted as a solicitor on 28 August 1886. In about 1889 he formed the legal partnership, Street and Paterson.
From his law student days Banjo began publishing verse in the Bulletin under the pseudonym `The Banjo".
By 1895, his ballads such as 'Clancy of the Overflow', and 'The Man from Ironbark' were so popular that Angus & Robertson published his first book - The Man from Snowy River, and other verses.
This book was a remarkable success - the first edition sold out in the week of publication and 7000 copies in just a few months
Late in 1895 he wrote 'Waltzing Matilda' which was to become Australia's best-known folk song.
Paterson wrote for all who were battling in the face of flood, drought and disaster. His works were many and by consensus of the Australian people, and by his life and conduct, he was, a great Australian.
He died, after a short illness, on 5 February 1941
In 1983 his granddaughters published a two-volume complete edition of his works,
In February 2014 Orange celebrated Banjo's 150th birthday with The Banjo Paterson Festival.
From February 2015, planned to coincide with Banjo's 17th February birthday, the festival is back on an Annual basis and will be known as -
The Banjo Paterson Australian Poetry Festival.
The Festival is a combination of the Slow Summer Breakfast in the Park, Night Markets and Dragon Boat Carnival, as well as a Art Competition, window shop displays, local poetry readings, stargazing in the park, outdoor movies and kids cooking classes.
Visit Robertson Park, Orange - 7:30 - 8:30am - during the festival
for Breakfast and Poetry in the Park
Some of the Saturday highlights are the Dragon Boat Carnival at Lake Canobolas
and the Banjo Paterson Night Market at Robertson Park.